Name Change

Name Change Attorney
Contested Family Law Matters: 

Preventative & Protective Family Law Issues: 
• Post-Marital Agreements
• Cohabitation Agreements
• Custody Agreements

Family Creation:
• Gestational Agreements
• Surrogacy Agreements
• Step-Parent Adoption

How to Do a Name Change in Texas

There are many reasons why you would want to legally change your name. Whether it be a marriage name change, divorce name change, or a name change for a minor child, The Law Office of Perkins and Janis, P.C. is here to help you through the process.

You do not need a court order to change or hyphenate your last name to your spouse’s last name when you marry. You simply request new identification with the name change by providing a certified copy of your marriage certificate. 

If you are going through a divorce, you can change your name as part of the divorce but the new name must first be requested and then be contained in the divorce decree. 
A lawsuit is required for a name change for an adult or a child outside of marriage and divorce.

Court Name-Change Procedures

You must be 18 years or older to file for a name change on your own behalf. If you are under 18 years old, you need a legal guardian to proceed to file for you. A child over the age of 12 must consent to the name change. The name change court procedure is as follows; 
  • Prepare the Original Petition for Change of Name;
  • File the petition with the court with payment of the proper filing fees; 
  • Obtain an official copy of your fingerprints & criminal background check;
  • Prepare the Order Granting Change of Name;
  • Attend the court hearing to present the evidence and order to the Judge;
  • File the order with the court clerk and obtain certified copies to use to change identification documents.

Your Name Change Attorney in San Antonio, TX

If you are thinking about changing your name, let the Law Office of Perkins & Janis guide you through the process. Our experienced team will ensure you have all the information you need for your name change. Contact our law office in San Antonio today to schedule your consultation or begin the name-change process. 
Share by: